You've been dying to know if Gunner's part Aussie or Border Collie or where Chicklet gets those cute webbed feet. Just a few short weeks ago, you sent in your swab from the Embark Dog DNA Kit swab, and it's almost time for the big reveal. Why not let some two- and four-legged friends in on the fun?
Watching happy dogs hang out is a guaranteed good time, but there are some ways to make your party even more memorable. Here are our five favorite tips to help your guests get their wag on!
- Break out the puppy playlist. Human's best friend gets a nod from musical artists across genres, from Three Dog Night and the Pet Shop Boys to Snoop Dog and Pitbull. You can add some diversity with Echo and the Bunnymen or Stray Cats. Cue “Born to Be Wild” and get ready to cut loose.
- Play for the win. Invite (human) guests to predict the breed breakdown on a big poster board, but keep the competition going with a dog-themed trivia or “Jeopardy” party. (Suggested categories include: Presidential Pups, Literary Hounds, Beasts of the Big Screen.)
- Make a meet-cute storyboard. There's no time like a breed reveal party for a little love fest. Whether you fell for your baby at the local shelter or found her online and knew she was the one, tell the world what you know of her backstory (be sure to include then-and-now pics!) and invite guests to add their own stories to the board.
- Keep it pet-friendly! Choose rubber chew toys over balloons (they pop!) and baby carrots over anything chocolate. Refill those water bowls — and bottles for the humans — to help guests stay hydrated. And if a guest overdoes it, remember accidents happen to the best of us, so keep cleanup spray handy, too.
- Share the joy. Let your favorite rescue organization in on the celebration. You can set up a donation jar at the party, link to an organization's Wish List in your invite or make a gift in your dog's name to a breed-specific rescue group when you learn his ancestry.