You’ve Embark-tested your dog and received the most informative DNA results available. Now, how do you use those results to help find potential mates to complement your breeding goals?
Enter Matchmaker, Embark’s advanced, custom breeding tool that makes it easy to assess inherited disease mutations in potential mates and view predicted average litter COI. In response to overwhelmingly positive breeder feedback, we’ve recently expanded the tool to include 33 additional breeds. Check here to see if yours is one of them.
Discover all you can do
Specifically, Matchmaker enables breeders to quickly and easily pose theoretical crosses between available, intact dogs in the Embark database, for more informed mate selection.
- Enjoy expanded availability—33 additional breeds just added, for a total of over 40 breeds
- Perform in-depth analyses—Compare and evaluate the number of variants for genetic health risks and coat color and trait genotypes
- View average litter COI fast—Get the predicted coefficient of inbreeding without having to email Embark
- Get access on demand—Use the tool anytime via the results portal in your dog’s Embark profile
- Make co-breeding a breeze—Check out Embark’s Shared Owner feature
Get results in 3 steps
If Matchmaker is available for your breed, your dogs have been DNA tested with an Embark for Breeders test, they’ve been marked as intact, and you have created a kennel profile, you’re all set to opt in. In Breeder Tools you’ll see Dog Settings and then all your dogs listed. Click on Include in Matchmaker, then set Breed to Public. (We encourage you to set Health and Traits to Public as well, in the interest of transparency.) You’re ready to start using Matchmaker!
- Access your portal: Access Matchmaker by logging in to your account, clicking on Breeder Tools at the top, then clicking on Matchmaker. (You can also access Matchmaker from the Health tab in your dog’s profile).
- Select your dog: Using the dropdown menu, choose the dog for which you’d like to compare genotypes and COI.
- View your results*: The results shown will include the number of variants for genetic health risks, the predicted average coefficient of inbreeding for a potential litter, and coat color and trait genotypes. From this, you can determine the expected genotypes and phenotypes in a theoretical litter from the two dogs. Before breeding, be sure to review the prospective mate’s complete Embark profile and non-genetic tests, too, so you have the full picture.
As always, if you have questions about how to apply your results, or if Matchmaker doesn’t include your breed, feel free to contact our Customer Support team: we’re here to help.
Keep us in the loop
At Embark, we’re deeply committed to helping you optimize your breeding program and achieve your goals—by bringing together our extensive science experience and your breed-specific expertise. So we encourage data sharing, and we are eager to hear your feedback and suggestions as we continue to refine and expand our Matchmaker tool. Together, we can create the tools to help you make the very best breeding decisions, so you can continue to produce healthy, athletic, beautiful dogs.
*We encourage you to speak with a veterinarian regarding the meaning of your pet’s Genetic Information or any questions that arise from your use of our Services. Please see embarkvet.com/tos for our complete terms of service.