How to Swab Your Dog
Just follow the easy steps below. Don’t forget to activate your kit before mailing the swab back to us.
TUTORIAL VIDEO FOR STEPS 1-4
1. REMOVE COLLECTION TUBE
Open the kit and remove the tube from its packaging. Do not remove the swab from the tube, you can use the tube as a handle.
2. SWAB YOUR DOG FOR 30-60 SECONDS
Take the swab and gently rub the inside of your dog’s cheek pouch and under their tongue to collect saliva for 30-60 seconds. Some tips to get the best quality sample:
- We recommend swabbing your dog for 60 seconds. The most common reason for a test to come back inconclusive is because of low DNA concentration so a longer swabbing time increases your chances for success!
- Show your dog a treat (don’t let them eat it) so they get nice and slobbery.
- Don’t let your dog eat for 30 minutes prior to swabbing.
- Get more swabbing tips!
3. UNSCREW CAP, PLACE IN TUBE & SEAL YOUR SAMPLE
Unscrew the cap and turn the swab upside down. Place the swab inside the collection tube.
Don’t spill the liquid – it is needed to stabilize the DNA until it’s processed.
Screw the cap until you cannot turn it any further.
4. MIX SAMPLE
Make sure the cap is screwed on tightly over the sample collection tube. Invert the tube and shake for 10 seconds.
Click the button below to activate your kit.
Please do this before mailing your kit back to us.
6. SEND YOUR SAMPLE TO US
Send your sample to Embark with the prepaid envelope included in your kit. Don’t worry, your sample is stable for at least 6 months, but who wants to wait that long?